Looking for the San Diego Superior Court?
What type of cases does it handle?
Where are the courthouses located?
In this article, we will break down the San Diego Superior Court so you know all there is to know about it!
Keep reading as we have gathered exactly the information that you need!
Let’s dig into the US judicial system and courthouses!
Are you ready?
Let’s get started!
San Diego Superior Court Overview
The San Diego Superior Court is part of the California trial court system.
In California, there are 58 trial courts across the state and San Diego represents the second largest court system.
San Diego is second to the Los Angeles courts and precedes the Orange County and Santa Clara County courts.
Types of Cases Handled By the County of San Diego Superior Court
The Superior Court in San Diego handles a variety of cases.
To illustrate the types of legal cases and lawsuits they handle, here is list of what they have authority over:
- Hear appeal cases relating to limited and unlimited civil, family and probate cases
- Civil cases including both limited civil cases of $25,000 or less and unlimited cases over $25,000
- Criminal cases for felony and misdemeanor crimes
- Family law cases including divorce, legal separation, marriage annulments, child custody, spousal support and domestic violence
- Family support cases related to child support
- Juvenile court cases involving juvenile dependency, abuse, neglect, adoption, delinquency
- Landlord and tenant disputes or unlawful detainer cases
- Mental health cases relating to evaluations, investigations, hearings, and bench trials
- Non-traffic infraction cases related to city municipal codes such as pedestrian violations, smoking in restricted areas, bicycling, sleeping on a park bench
- Probate cases including decedents’ estates, trust proceedings, guardianship proceedings, conservatorship proceedings
- Small claims cases relating to civil monetary judgments of $7,500 or less
- Traffic cases relating to all traffic infractions
Superior Court San Diego County Facts
The San Diego Superior Court is a well-developed court system handling many cases in the course of a year.
It serves a territory of 4,261 square miles in California and over 3.1 million people served.
In the County, there are 7 court facilities serving the people where each facility will handle a legal case depending on where the parties potentially live, the nature of the legal action, or the way the court has centralized its services.
San Diego County Courthouses And Locations
Here are the San Diego County courthouses (the links here provide you with the location of the courthouse on the map):
You can look up the California Courts website to get more information on the 7 courthouses in San Diego and the type of matters they handle.
For more general information about each courthouse, you can visit the following links:
- Central Courthouse
- Hall of Justice
- Kearny Mesa
- North County Regional Center
- East County Regional Center
- South County Regional Center
For juvenile courts:
San Diego Court Takeaways
So what should you know about the San Diego Superior Court?
For any information relating to the San Diego Court, self-help services, filing lawsuits, frequently asked questions, and forms, you should visit the San Diego Superior Court website.
Let’s look at a summary of our findings.
San Diego County Superior Court
If you enjoyed this article on San Diego Superior Court, we recommend you look into the following legal terms and concepts. Enjoy!